How to Remove Yellow Stains from White Shoes in 5 Easy Steps?
White shoes are among the most challenging footwear to clean. Such holds true, especially if they have already accumulated yellow stains. Note that it is common for white shoes to accumulate yellow stains over time, especially if you store them for quite a while.
If your white shoes have become unsightly due to their yellow stains, then take note that there are several ways for you to keep them immaculately clean and white. Some of the tips on how to remove yellow stains from white shoes are included in this article for your convenience.
What Do You Need to Follow this Tutorial?
- Old newspapers
- Water and mild detergent
- Thick towel
- Soft-bristled and unused toothbrush
- Damp washcloth
- Washing machine
- Delicate bag or pillowcase
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Rubbing alcohol
Step 1 – Try Removing The Yellow Stains By Hand
To get rid of yellow stains that have accumulated in your white shoes, rest assured that you can do so by hand. Here are some tips that can help you start the process of cleaning off the stains using your hand:
- Remove the laces first. Once removed, stuff your shoes with old newspapers. This is crucial in letting the shoe hold its shape, which is also a good thing as it lessens the burden in cleaning it up.
- Put water and mild detergent in a sink. Agitate the mixture so as to develop suds. Get a thick towel then put it beside the sink.
- The next step is to hold your white shoe above the water. Get a soft-bristled and unused toothbrush then dip it into the water and detergent mixture. Use the dipped brush to scrub the shoe’s surface.
- Once all the dirt has been removed by scrubbing, it is time to take the newspapers out of your shoes.
- Rinse your footwear using clean water. Get a damp washcloth then use it to wipe your shoes. Put the clean shoe above the prepared towel then wrap its sides around the footwear. This is necessary in removing excess water. Once done, you can pat both shoes dry.
- Let them set at room temperature for proper drying. Make sure to air dry the shoe completely before you start wearing it again.
Step 2 – Use Your Washing Machine
Removing yellow stains from your white shoes and keeping them clean is also possible with the help of your washing machine. Make sure to remove the laces first, just like the first method indicated in this article, before you start using your washing machine.
- Put your white shoes in a delicate bag or pillowcase. Tie it tightly to prevent it from coming undone once placed in the washing machine. It can also protect your shoes from possible damage.
- Wash your shoes using warm water and by setting the machine in gentle cycle. Such is a huge help in cleaning it up without further damage.
- Add just the right amount of detergent. A wise tip is to ensure that it is just enough for a small load.
- After washing, stuff your shoes with old newspapers. Allow them to air dry. Avoid tumbling them dry as there is a risk for the heat to damage the shoe’s glue.
- Check whether all the yellow stains are removed. If there are still some stains left, then try applying other easy to follow stain removal methods.
- Replace the shoe’s laces and inserts once fully dry.
Step 3 – Use Baking Soda And Vinegar
You can form a paste out of vinegar and baking soda, then use it to remove yellow stains from your white shoes. Here’s how to use this solution:
- Mix one tablespoon each of hot water, vinegar and baking soda. Continue mixing until you formed a paste.
- Dip an unused toothbrush into the paste then rub it into the stained part.
- Once all the stains are removed, use lukewarm water to get rid of the baking soda and vinegar completely.
- Let them dry completely. To further improve the results of this solution, it is also possible for you to apply white liquid chalk into the toe portion. This can help that specific part of the shoe. Remove it after a while then use a sponge and clean damp cloth to wipe it off.
Step 4 – Take Advantage of Rubbing Alcohol
Rubbing alcohol is also another effective solution on how to remove yellow stains from white shoes. All you have to do to take advantage of this solution is to get a cotton ball and dip it in rubbing alcohol. Saturate the area where the yellow stains are visible.
Wipe the stains by gently applying the cotton ball. Continue doing the process until all stains are removed. A nail polish remover is also useful in getting rid of the stains.
Step 5 – Remind Yourself of Some Additional Tips
- Before trying any of the cleaning solutions, spend time testing a small part of your shoe first. Make sure that such part is hidden. This can help you determine whether or not the solution has some negative effects on the material mainly used in your shoe.
- If you plan to clean dirt and marks, as well, then make sure to take advantage of water and mild detergent solution. Apply it to the affected area before you use any harsh cleaner like bleach.
- In case the yellow stain still remains, then rest assured that you can deal with it by applying a white shoe polish. Such polish can help in hiding discoloration.
- Prior to washing, soak the shoes in vinegar. Such is a huge help in getting rid of the odor.
While the process on how to remove yellow stains from white shoes is quite challenging, note that there are plenty of methods and solutions that actually work. All it takes is to figure out which solution is safe for the primary material used in constructing your shoe.
By choosing the safest cleaning procedure, you can make your shoes sparkling white again. That said, there is no need for you to purchase another pair because you’ll still find the old one usable.