Rainy weather is common in every season of the year, so we always have to be prepared to step into some puddles. That’s why it’s important you know what you can and can’t wear during such weather conditions. So, can you wear leather boots in the rain or should you choose another pair of shoes?
It’s difficult to give you a simple yes or no answer, but don’t worry, we won’t leave you hanging. Instead, we’ve prepared lots of tips and tricks that will help you protect your shoes.
Leather boots and rain: friends or enemies?
Wearing leather boots in the rain can be tricky. Leather is a natural material that can get damaged by too much water, so it’s important to take the proper precautions to protect your boots if you plan to wear them in wet conditions.
First things first, when wearing leather boots in the rain you should consider the type of leather they are made of. Full-grain leather, which is the top layer of cowhide, is the most durable and water-resistant type of leather.
However, it is also the most expensive and may not be suitable for all budgets. Suede and nubuck are soft, less durable, and more prone to water damage. Therefore, it’s important to be extra cautious if you have boots made out of these types of leather.
Another factor to consider is the construction of the boot. Tightly fitting leather boots may be less likely to let water in but may shrink when they get wet and become uncomfortable to wear. On the other hand, boots with a looser fit are more comfortable in wet conditions, but let water in more easily.
So, yes, you can wear your leather boots in the rain, but you should definitely avoid deep puddles and standing in water for extended periods of time.
It’s also crucial to remember to take care of them after they get wet. This means allowing them to dry naturally and away from direct heat, as well as conditioning them to keep the leather supple. So, with proper precautions, you can enjoy wearing your favorite leather boots even in wet conditions.
Don’t worry, we’ll explain everything you need to know, you just have to scroll down and read carefully.
Can you wear leather boots in the rain without them shrinking?
Leather boots can shrink when they get wet, depending on the type of leather they are made of and the way they are constructed. Some types of leather, such as full-grain leather, are more likely to shrink when exposed to water than others, such as suede or nubuck.
When leather boots get wet, the fibers in the leather absorb the water and expand. As the leather dries, it can contract and shrink, causing the boots to become tighter and more uncomfortable.
Additionally, the shrinking can cause the boots to lose their shape. It’s definitely a good idea to avoid getting the boots too wet by avoiding deep puddles or standing in water for a long time.
One of the ways to prevent shrinking is by stretching the boots before getting them wet. This can be done by wearing them at home with thick socks or by using a shoe stretcher. It’s important to note that if the boots have already shrunk, it may be difficult to restore them to their original size and shape.
If you notice that your leather boots have shrunk after getting wet, it is best to take them to a professional cobbler for further advice. Overall, leather boots can shrink when they get wet, but the chances of this happening can be minimized by waterproofing the boots before wearing them.
Additionally, proper care and maintenance can help to prolong the life of your leather boots and prevent them from shrinking.
How to keep your leather boots in good shape?
Now’s the time to start with our lesson. Don’t worry, it’s much more interesting than you think. Our first task is to learn how to keep your leather boots healthy. We’ve prepared 5 tips and tricks that will help you with that.
1. Dry them as soon as possible
Can you wear leather boots in the rain? Yes, you can, but you’ll have to dry them as soon as possible if you want to keep them safe.
Leather is a natural material that can be damaged by water, so allowing the boots to dry slowly or in damp conditions can cause the leather to become stiff, discolored, or even moldy.
If you learn how to take proper care of your boots, it will help prolong the life of your leather boots and prevent them from getting damaged. This is just the first step you’ll have to take, and now’s the time to learn other important tips and tricks.
2. Apply moisturizer
Waterproofing your shoes can help protect them from water damage, but it’s important to use the right type of product. Here’s a simple way to apply moisturizer to waterproof your shoes:
– Clean the shoes: Before applying any product, it’s important to clean your shoes. Use a damp cloth to wipe away any dirt or debris from the surface of the shoes.
– Choose a moisturizer: Look for a moisturizer that is safe for use on leather and suede. Petroleum jelly or a wax-based moisturizer can be good options, they are relatively cheap and easy to find.
– Apply the moisturizer: Using a clean cloth or your fingers, apply a thin layer of moisturizer to the surface of the shoes. Make sure to cover all areas, including the toe, heel, and sides of the shoes.
– Allow the moisturizer to dry: Leave the shoes to dry for a few hours or overnight, depending on your product.
– Repeat the process: Repeat the process once or twice more, to make sure the shoes are fully coated and protected.
It’s important to note that this method will not make your shoes completely waterproof, but it will make them more resistant to water. It will also condition and preserve the leather of your shoes. Additionally, you should avoid using too much moisturizer as it can make your shoes slippery and harder to walk on.
3. Use waterproof covers
Waterproof covers for boots, also known as rain boots or galoshes, are a great way to protect your boots from water damage. They are designed to fit over your existing boots and provide an additional layer of protection against rain, snow, and slush.
However, did you know that there are different types of waterproof covers for boots available? Yes, and choosing the right one is essential. Here are the options you have:
– Disposable covers: These are made out of a lightweight, waterproof material that can be worn over your boots for single use. They are typically inexpensive and easy to find at most outdoor or sporting goods stores.
– Reusable covers: These are made out of a more durable material that can be worn multiple times. They often have adjustable straps or snaps that help keep them securely in place over your boots.
– Insulated covers: These covers are designed to be worn in cold weather and are made out of waterproof and insulated materials. They can help warm and dry your feet in snowy or icy conditions.
– High-Visibility covers: These covers are designed to increase visibility when worn in low-light conditions. They are often made with reflective material or bright colors to make you more visible in the dark.
When choosing waterproof covers for boots, it is important to consider the type of weather and activities you will be doing. For example, if you will be using them in cold weather, you’ll want to choose a pair that is insulated.
Overall, waterproof covers for boots can be a great way to protect your shoes from water damage and are also useful in snowy, icy, and low-light conditions. They are relatively cheap, easy to find, and come in different types to suit different weather conditions.
4. Use a plastic bag
Can you wear leather boots in the rain? As we’ve seen, you can do it, but it’s best you try and keep them safe. One way to protect boots from rain is by using a plastic bag. Here’s how to do it:
– Gather the materials: You’ll need a plastic bag that is large enough to fit your shoes, a rubber band or tape, and a pair of scissors.
– Place the shoes in the bag: Slip the shoes into the plastic bag, making sure they are fully inside and the bag is not stretched tight over the shoes.
– Secure the bag: Use a rubber band or tape to seal the top of the bag around the shoes. This will help keep water out and prevent the bag from slipping off the shoes.
– Cut off the excess: Use scissors to cut off the excess plastic bag above the rubber band or tape. This will make it easier to walk and will also keep the plastic bag from getting caught on anything.
– Put your shoes on: Slip your feet into the shoes and the plastic bag and you are ready to go!
Remember that this method is not guaranteed to keep your shoes completely dry, but it helps protect them from rain and light water splashes. Additionally, you must be extra careful when walking and moving around as the plastic bags can slip and make you lose balance.
5. Waterproof your leather boots
Waterproofing your boots takes time, however, it’s essential for their protection. Here’s why you should definitely consider this option:
– Protection from water damage: We’ve already learned that water can easily damage your leather boots, therefore, you should always know how to protect them.
– Prolonging the life of your boots: By protecting your boots from water damage, you can help prolong their life and keep them looking good for much longer.
– Comfort and fit: Water can cause the boots to become tighter and potentially uncomfortable to wear. Waterproofing your boots can help prevent this from happening, keeping them more comfortable to wear.
– Keeping your feet dry: Waterproofing your boots can help keep your feet dry and comfortable, even in wet conditions. Bonus points – you won’t have to worry about getting sick!
– Functionality: If you plan to wear your boots in wet conditions, waterproofing them is essential to make sure they function properly. For example, if you are working on a job that requires being outside in wet conditions, or if you’re planning to go hiking on a rainy day.
It’s important to note that waterproofing your boots does not make them completely waterproof and it is not a permanent solution, as it will eventually wear off and need to be reapplied.
Additionally, it’s essential to check the label of the product and the instructions for the specific material of your boots, some materials might not be suitable for certain products.
How to dry your leather boots safely?
Can you wear leather boots in the rain? You can, if you keep them safe! Everybody makes mistakes sometimes, so it’s likely that your leather boots will still get wet from time to time.
Worry not, we’ve got your back! Here’s how to save them even if you’ve already stepped in a few puddles on your way home.
1. Clean them
Before you start the process of drying, it’s vital you clean the boots first. If you skip this part, it’s likely that they will stay permanently damaged and stained. It’s also common for leather to change its color, and dirt is one of the most common reasons why.
So, use a soft brush and soapy water, and clean your boots. When you’ve successfully gotten rid of all the dirt, use a towel and dry them. Then you’ll be ready for the next step.
P.S. Be careful and don’t use a strong brush because it can damage the leather, and don’t use detergents and alcohol as they can also affect the color.
2. Dry the insoles separately
If your boots have removable insoles, then you have the opportunity to make the drying process even faster. Remove them and dry them separately. It will allow them to dry faster, but your leather boots will also have better airflow which is great.
On top of that, you won’t have to deal with an unpleasant odor that’s often an issue after getting leather boots wet in the rain.
3. Use old newspapers
Since you’ve decided to wear your leather boots in the rain, you need to be aware of two more steps that will help you keep them alive.
The next step is to take some old newspapers and put them inside your wet boots. Why is this an important step? Because it will soak the water and give you a chance to wear your favorite pair of boots much sooner than you’ve expected.
4. Leave them in a dry room
Finally, leave them in a dry room. The kitchen and bathroom are the rooms that you should definitely avoid, as the air in there is not dry enough for this process. However, keep in mind that using heat isn’t recommended and it can in fact damage your boots.
That’s why using a hairdryer or putting them next to the fireplace are ideas that you should cross out. The only acceptable heating option is a boot dryer!
Can you wear leather boots in the rain? Yes, with these 4 methods
Congratulations, we’ve reached the final part of our lesson. It’s time to learn how to take care of your leather boots properly, so you won’t have to worry about wearing them when it’s raining outside. Don’t stress, all tips and tricks are easy, and don’t take much of your free time!
1. Waterproof spray
Waterproof spray for leather boots is a product that can be used to protect the leather from water damage. It works by creating a layer of protection on the surface of the leather that repels water, helping to keep your boots dry.
There are different types of waterproof sprays for leather boots available, including silicone-based sprays, wax-based sprays, and water and stain-repellent sprays.
When using a waterproof spray for leather boots, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions, as the process may vary depending on the product. Typically, you need to clean the boots first, then apply the spray in a thin, even coat, making sure to cover the entire surface of the boots.
You also need to remember that even with the use of a waterproof spray, leather boots will eventually get wet, so it’s important to take care of them after they get wet, such as allowing them to dry naturally and away from direct heat and conditioning them to keep the leather supple.
They are relatively easy to find and apply and they can be a great addition to a routine of maintaining your boots.
2. Waterproof cream
Waterproof creams for leather boots are a type of product that can be used to protect the leather from water damage. They are similar to waterproof sprays, but they are applied as a cream, rather than a spray.
Therefore, waterproof creams for leather boots work the same way as waterproof sprays. They create a barrier on the surface of the leather that keeps the water away, and it helps keep your boots dry and well-protected. They can also condition the leather and maintain its suppleness.
It’s important to keep in mind that you need to let the cream dry naturally after applying it. If you put the waterproof cream and immediately go out in the rain before it dries, it won’t help protect your boots. So, be patient and prepare your boots at least half an hour before you have to go.
One of the most popular waterproof oil for boots is Sno-Seal. It’s made of beeswax and it’s designed to keep the water away as well as protect the leather from drying and cracking. It can be applied to new or used boots and should be reapplied from time to time to maintain waterproofing.
However, since not every product is safe for every type of leather, it’s important to test it on a small, inconspicuous area of the boots before applying it to the entire surface. This is done to ensure it will not damage or discolor the material.
Finally, the last waterproofing method we would like to mention today is a waterproof wax. The most popular one is Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP. It’s made of natural waxes such as beeswax. It prevents water from coming inside the boots, but it also keeps them healthier for a longer period of time.
You won’t have to deal with the leather cracking or losing its original color. That’s why so many people choose this type of protection often. Another option is a Dubbin wax. It works the same way, it’s just a few dollars cheaper. Either way, both options are easy to find and affordable as they cost less than $15.
So, what do you think, can you wear leather boots in the rain? Our conclusion is that you can if you learn how to take care of them properly, and we hope that you did that today.