Best Shoes for Tough Mudder: Learning Exactly What You Should Wear 2017
A tough mudder is an event, which really tests your determination and mental strength. That said, it is necessary to invest in the right gears to help you succeed in this activity. Look for the best shoes for Tough Mudder as it is the key to beating the challenges linked to this tough event.
1. Salomon Speedcross 3 - Editor's Choice
3. Salomon Speedcross 4 - Best of the Best
4. Salomon Speedcross 3 W Synthetic - Best Bang for the Buck
Why Do you Need the Right Shoes for Tough Mudder?
Choosing the best shoes perfectly designed for a tough event like Tough Mudder or Spartan Race is crucial to your success. Note that the event is extremely challenging. It involves lots of trail running – downhill, uphill, on muddy areas, etc.
You may even need to pass through standing water and creeks. It’s rare for you to run on an even and flat surface, which features a good traction if you take part in Tough Mudder.
With all the challenges linked to the event, you need to wear the best shoes. This will serve as your best partner in surviving the process of dipping in and out of the water several times through the entire race.
Note that typical shoes are not designed for this kind of tough activity. You have to look for one, which is specifically made for this purpose to ensure that you won’t end up getting frustrated because you’re unsatisfied with your participation.
What to Look for in The Best Tough Mudder Shoes?
1. Light Weight
Make sure that you’ll look for a pair of shoes, which is light enough. Note that after just twelve miles, you’ll already feel almost all the weight you’re carrying at that moment. You wouldn’t want your shoes to add up to the weight, right?
2. Comfort and Fit
Aside from being comfortable, the shoes should also fit you firmly. You don’t want to end up losing them in case you get stuck in the mud, so make sure to choose one with a high comfort level and excellent fit.
Provides Adequate Support – It should be able to provide the right support, especially if you plan to use it to climb obstacles.
3. Easy to Clean and Sturdy
Make sure that you’ll get the chance to use them for a long time.
Aside from the ones mentioned above, you should also pick a pair of shoe, which provides enough grip on a slick and muddy terrain. It should also be fast-drying and water-resistant.
Top 5 Best Shoes for Tough Mudder 2017
1. Salomon Speedcross 3 Trail Running Shoe - Editor's Choice
This trail running shoe is a good choice for Tough Mudder as it has a fairly low profile yet still provides adequate grip. That said, expect it to keep you upright even if you’re on muddy and steep trails.
It also has some cushion, allowing you to cope challenging and firm trails, such as forestry tracks.
It has incredible traction, making it easier for it to grip on snow, mud, rock and other wet areas. The rubber material used to provide you with traction is now more durable and harder.
Also, the outsole is made of Contagrip rubber, further improving the ability of the shoes to provide you with the right traction in wet conditions. It also has the Sensifit feature, which cradles your foot, making its fit more comfortable and precise.
Moreover, it offers water shield protection in the toe and tongue sections, so expect it to be more water-resistant without compromising its breathability. Aside from that, it’s guaranteed to be light and compact.
- Ideal for hardcore outdoor activity enthusiasts, including mudders and core trail runners
- Fits the feet perfectly
- Comfortable and lightweight plus it has a compact design
- Cushion on the tongue, making it even more comfortable
- Has extra grip, making it useful for faster, technical runs or those that involve more technicalities and challenges
- Quite narrow
- Huge stack height beneath the heel, causing it to be laterally tippy and unstable
2. Salomon Speedcross 3 CS Trail Running Shoe
This version of the Speedcross maintains a large amount of cushion on the heel, making it more suitable for runners who prefer a heel strike. It boasts of well-spaced yet substantial lugs in both the forefoot and the heel, offering excellent traction.
This traction is good for all types of off-road terrains. You can also expect the lugs to be capable of shedding lugs easily. Also, it features lots of cushioning on the heel, making it useful in coping reasonable distances without causing discomfort.
This pair of shoes also uses its popular Kevlar quick-lace system. This works efficiently for quick transitions if you decide to participate in short races. Expect the transition to be quick even with frozen hands.
Another thing that you will instantly notice about Salomon Speedcross 3 CS is the plenty of padding in the upper surrounding the ankle and heel. This can provide you with a more comfortable and snug fit.
Also, it has a protective feature found in the toe box, preventing rocks and stones from ruining your experience. Solid protection can also be expected on the entire shoe.
- Lightweight and comfortable, making it useful for tough activities and events, such as Tough Madder
- Provides excellent traction
- Versatile and multifunctional
- Features a protective upper, precise fit and aggressive tread
- Has a nice grip
- Proper cushion, making it useful for fast sprints and long races
- Lugs tend to quickly wear down if you use it on roads
- Not waterproof entirely
3. Salomon Speedcross 4 Trail Runner - Best of the Best
One of the things you’ll instantly notice in this pair of shoes is its good traction. This good traction makes it easier for you to plant the shoes anywhere without worrying about anything. Side-hills, downhill, uphill – you can use it on whatever terrain you intend to wear it to.
It is ideal for serious mountain runners, and for those who are constantly engaged in tough activities outdoors. It works well on rough terrains. Also, it comprises of a tightly woven mesh, capable of resisting snow and light rain.
It also has a solid heel and toe armor, making it safe for you to take on rocks.
Aside from that, it has a thick midsole, which is already enough if you’re climbing a challenging trail with sharp and harsh elements.
Compared to its earlier version, the Speedcross 3, Speedcross 4 trail runner features a tighter lug pattern. More lugs are noticeable on the surface area. Also, it has a much-improved traction, higher arch support, and deeper heel cup.
- Provides a great mix between ground feel and proper cushion
- Strong and durable construction with the outsole, laces, and mesh in excellent shape
- Has the proper balance of protection and sensitivity
- Looks great and performs well in dry climates and in the snow
- Will be one of the best shoes for tough mudder 2017
- Does not have proper ventilation – It tends to heat up easily.
4. Salomon Women's Speedcross 3 W Synthetic Trail Running Shoes - Best Bang for the Buck
Tough women also deserve tough shoes for trail running and Tough Mudder, and this is something that the Salomon Speedcross 3 W can offer. It can be defined as a high-performance mountain trail shoes that can offer excellent comfort and protection for your feet.
It has a deep chevron, wide-set lug pattern, making it possible for it to offer the most trustworthy traction on wet, steep, technical and sloppy terrains. It’s made of soft and sticky rubber, so expect it to grip on tough surfaces such as roots and wet rocks.
Another thing that you will immediately notice on the shoes is its synthetic leather overlays, as well as the heel slings that can offer a more supportive and precise fit. Also, its toe caps that resist abrasion can help protect your shield toes and uppers from bumps.
Furthermore, the shoes make use of the Quicklace system, which promotes a more customized and secure fit. The fact that its linings are also made of polyester mesh material can also make you feel more comfortable. Lastly, it has a wicking away moisture.
- Provides great traction, so you will never have worries when using it on tough and challenging terrains
- Has a more precise fit, making you feel more comfortable
- Offers amazing foot protection
- Has a quick-fit lacing system
- Well-designed with feminine colors
- The uppers are not that breathable
- Tend to fit only those with narrow feet better
5. Merrell Men's Trail Glove 3 Minimal Trail Running Shoe
This running shoe from Merrell will most likely be your ultimate running and outdoor activity buddy. It makes use of various technologies - all of which are unique to Merrell and can make anyone who wears it feel more comfortable.
Glove 3 features Vibram outsoles that offer maximum traction and support. It also combines a number of technologies to provide you a higher level of comfort while performing efficiently. Moreover, it features an EVA midsole, which can offer maximum shock absorption capability.
Also, it has antimicrobial agents, capable of disrupting the production of bad odor, as well as the penetration of antimicrobial agents into the shoes. The fact that it is lightweight also makes it easier for you to run or perform other challenging activities.
The good thing about Trail Glove 3 is that it is well-designed and versatile. In fact, you can wear it with your daily clothes and favorite running pants and shorts. Also, it is durable and resistant to harsh elements.
- Top rated and high-quality design and construction
- Light and fast, thereby allowing you to move around with ease
- Has a breathable mesh lining, further improving its ability to give you comfort
- Offers a good grip
- Flexible and versatile
- Fit is quite loose for runners with narrow feet
- Arch support wedge is quite rigid
Finding the best shoes for Tough Mudder is no longer that hard with all the information and the short reviews provided here. Just make sure that when making your choice, you consider the challenging activity that you’re exposing yourself and the shoes into.
Make sure to look for one, which is sturdy and durable. It should also be tough enough to handle harsh elements that will come your way when taking part of the event.