Top 6 Best Safety Glasses: Keeping your Eyes Fully Protected
Over 2,000 people are at risk of injuring their eyes on a daily basis because of a work-related incident. That said, it is no longer surprising why it is advisable for workers and employers to invest in protective eyewear, such as safety glasses.
With the best safety glasses, it is possible for workers to protect their eyes while preventing potential losses due to certain injuries.
Learning the Different Types of Lenses for Safety Glasses
In searching for the most suitable safety glasses for your needs, it is crucial to consider the specific type of lens it’s made of. There are actually three materials for the lens – glass, plastic and polycarbonate.
The glass material is an option for scratchproof protective eyewear. However, take note that many don’t actually favor it because of its fragile nature. Plastic, on the other hand, is favored by many because it is lighter than glass.
Aside from that, it is also strong. The only problem is that the material is not scratchproof. The last material used in lenses for safety glasses is the polycarbonate. It is light and offers excellent protection from impact.
Welders can also greatly benefit from the polycarbonate material as it’s possible to coat it as a means of blocking UV rays when they are performing their job.
Factors to Consider in Buying Safety Glasses
If you want to ensure that you’re getting the best safety glasses, make sure to keep in mind the following factors:
1. Eye safety risks at the workplace – One of the first things you have to take into consideration when planning to purchase a good pair of safety glasses is the kind of eye safety hazard you will most likely encounter at work. Take note of the different types of eye safety hazards at work.
Among them are mechanical hazards often triggered by tools and machines that can produce particles that might hit your cornea, eventually causing injuries. There is also what we call radiation.
Such hazard includes UV radiations as well as visible light often caused by welding and other operations. These types of radiation can negatively affect your eyes, leading to chronic or acute eye injuries.
Another eye safety risk you might encounter is temperature. This type of hazard is often triggered by metal splashes, intense heat radiation, and hot liquids. There’s also chemical risks often triggered by foreign materials, like chemical splashes, gas, liquids and dust.
By considering the safety hazards affecting your eyes that you’re constantly exposed to, you have an assurance that your chosen safety glasses will work suitably for these.
2. Safety features included – Look for safety glasses that have plenty of special features designed to keep your eyes safe regardless of what you’re doing. Its features should specifically match your intended purpose.
For instance, if your job involves chainsawing, welding, or any other job that requires you to deal with debris and sparks, then ensure that the glasses feature reinforced lenses. Also, they should be fully enclosed.
If you’re unsure what specific features you need, consider your job and the specific risks you’re facing every day. Aside from that, you have to be aware of the international standards for such protective glasses.
For instance, if you are in need of a heavy-duty protection, ensure that the glasses meet the standard for it.
3. Anti-fog design – Another thing that you have to check is whether or not the safety glasses have an anti-fog design. Keep in mind that regardless of your job, if it requires you to do a lot of tasks, then you’ll be at risk of sweating out.
Sweat has the tendency of fogging up your glasses. In that case, you have to look for high-quality protective glasses, particularly those that feature anti-fog components and side ventilation in their lenses. Such features are crucial in preventing sweat from affecting your vision in case it gets too hot.
4. Comfort level – Another thing you have to check is whether or not the safety glasses are comfortable enough to wear for a prolonged period. Such is crucial, especially if you need to spend several hours at work.
It should be comfortable enough that it is not heavy nor should cut at the side of your head. Another thing that will help improve the ability of the glasses to give you comfort is the band used in framing your face comfortably while sitting snugly over your ears.
You can also find models that fit like goggles. Furthermore, it has an elastic band, which can make you feel more comfortable.
5. Price – It is also necessary to think about the price of the safety glasses. Note that their prices vary – around five to twenty dollars a pair. If you want to lower the price, then consider buying in bulk. Such is a great option if you’re an employer who wants to distribute the glasses to your workers.
The price also fully depends on your preferred features and the specific amount you’re willing to pay. High-quality safety glasses cost higher but you can expect them to have plenty of useful features. Check the specs and determine if the features provided are suitable for the price.
Your personal requirements – It is also necessary for you to consider your own specific requirements. For instance, if you often wear prescription glasses, then note that you also need a protective eyewear.
In this case, consider getting prescription lenses and fitting them into your glasses. If you want to spend less, then go for pairs designed to fit your bifocals. It should do so without altering your vision while still enhancing your level of safety.
DEWALT DPG82-11 Concealer Safety Google refers to a dual-mold protective eyewear designed to protect your eyes from harmful debris and dust. What I love about this safety google is the fact that it has a hard-coated lens, thereby offering utmost protection from scratches.
It also makes use of the anti-fog lens coating, which protects the lens from fogging. It is comfortable enough to wear with the aid of its soft and dual-injected rubber material, which is guaranteed to conform to your face well.
Another feature that ensures that it will fit users comfortable is the elastic cloth head strap, which you can easily adjust. Also, it boasts of ventilation channels designed to boost the breathability of the eyewear while still offering enough protection from fogging.
Furthermore, there is a clip attachment, which you can use to have an easier time replacing the lens. The fact that it has a low-profile design also ensures that it can offer a full vision. The lens is made of polycarbonate material, which can also offer at least 99% of UVB/UVA protection.
- Resists scratches and fogging with its hard-coated and anti-fog lens
- Offers protection from dust and debris because it has soft, dual-injected rubber
- Breathable because of the built-in ventilation channels
- Promotes ease in replacing the lens because of its clip attachment
- Resist impact due to the polycarbonate material used for the lens
- Still tends to fog a bit – Rest assured, though, that it’s only slightly, so it isn’t too uncomfortable.
Uvex Skyper Blue Light Blocking Computer Glasses is another product I will definitely recommend for anyone who is in search of the best safety glasses. It boasts of an orange lens, which also makes use of Spectrum Control Technology.
Such technology works in absorbing at least 98% of the blue light emitted by computers and other gadgets. This is beneficial in improving your focus, minimizing eye fatigue and preventing problems in your vision, such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
Furthermore, there is an extra screen contrast, which also features sharpened detail, promoting a longer screen viewing period. The lens inclination system, which also boasts of its three positions, enhances the ability of the safety glasses to give you comfort.
Added features are the adjustable, cushioned temples, wrap-around lens, molded-in nose bridge, anti-fog coating, and lens replacement system.
- Improves vision and focus, thanks to the built-in SCT technology, which absorbs more than 98% of blue light from gadgets
- Boasts of a wrap-around uni-lens design, which ensures that you can use it in seeing more clearly
- Promotes a more customized and better fit – Such is possible with the 3-position inclination system built into the glasses
- Easy to maintain – It is because of its lens replacement system.
- Allows long-term screen viewing without the risk of discomfort
- Lenses tend to acquire scratches easily – However, rest assured that overall, it can perform its intended function very well.
I like this pair of safety glasses from Encon Safety Products as these are designed to give you your desired level of protection. It’s a protective eyewear made of un-tinted and semi-rimless polycarbonate material for its lens.
Also, it features an anti-scratch coat plus is capable of providing a high level of UV protection. The fact that it is not tinted makes it possible for you to use it both indoors and outdoors. You will also have an easier time using it while preventing any risk of color recognition interference.
The polycarbonate material used in the lens is also known for its impact-resistant ability. It has an anti-scratch coating designed to increase the lifespan of the lens. It also protects your eyes from ultraviolet rays.
Another feature I like about the glasses is their semi-rimless design. Such minimizes weight put on your face while also preventing the lens from fogging. It features an adjustable and soft nose piece, which ensures that it will fit securely and comfortably.
- Promotes a comfortable and secure fit with the aid of its nose piece, which is not only soft but is also adjustable
- Impact-resistant as its lens is made of polycarbonate material
- Anti-scratch coat
- Un-tinted, thereby making it suitable for use both indoors and outdoors
- Shields your eyes from heat, flying particles, and other harmful eye hazards
- Slightly wide ear pieces
NoCry Safety Glasses are the most versatile pair of glasses that I’ve found. It is versatile enough that it works for a number of professions – like dentists, chemists, doctors, construction and metal workers, carpenters, and any other employee who needs to wear protective eyewear.
It can resist impact while still offering lightweight, wrap-around protection. The good thing about it is that it does so without causing you to sacrifice your style and comfort. Furthermore, I like the fact that its nose and side pieces are fully adjustable.
Such ensures that users can make the necessary adjustments for the glasses to fit them perfectly. That’s possible without the risk of slipping regardless of the size of your head and your facial type.
It can also resist scratches, glare, and fog – all that is possible with the polycarbonate material used in its lenses.
- Highly versatile that it works on a number of workers
- Lightweight, making it comfortable to use
- Promotes perfect fit with its adjustable nose and side pieces
- Resists glare, fog, and scratches
- Rubber used at the end tips might be uncomfortable as it might pull your hair when removing the glasses
You can also invest in Eclipse Glasses - CE and ISO Certified Safe Solar Eclipse Shades if you’re looking for one, which can offer you a high level of protection. It makes use of solar viewing materials with at least 5 optical density.
Also, it is completely safe for use on direct solar viewing. It is manufactured with the highest level of safety standards in mind. In fact, I can assure you that it boasts of its exclusive, scratch-resistant polymer material.
It is capable of filtering one hundred percent of infrared and ultraviolet lights. It can also filter at least 99% of intense visible light.
- Offers a high level of eye protection
- Solar viewing materials used have optical density ratings of at least 5
- Safe for use for direct solar viewing
- Meets safety standards of the glasses
- Polymer material used can resist scratches
- Narrow cardboard margin surrounding the filters’ edge
One thing that I’d like to highlight in this pair of safety glasses is its ability to let users prioritize their safety. I think it’s because of its effectiveness in preventing all forms of possible visual damage by keeping your eyes fully protected.
It is made of crystal clear lenses, thereby allowing you to see clearly. It also has an anti-glare coating, so expect it to provide clear visibility whether used indoors or outdoors.
Another thing that you’ll surely find remarkable about these safety glasses is their ability to resist scratches and impact. It can protect you from ultraviolet radiation. With its ergonomic design, you won’t also have a problem wearing it.
It fits perfectly and comfortably. You can even wear the low-profile frames comfortably even under your baseball cap or hard hat.
- Capable of preventing different kinds of visual damage
- Promotes clear visibility with its clear lenses and anti-glare coating
- Usable both indoors and outdoors
- Impact- and scratch-resistant
- Boasts of an ergonomic design
- A bit pricey but worth it because you’ll be getting a set
No matter what your job is, the best safety glasses can really provide you the kind of protection you desperately need. Invest in a high-quality pair and you’ll surely be able to perform your job without worrying about the safety of your eyes.
It’s easy to protect your eyes from most eye hazards with the right protective glasses.